Administrators can manage users within their Anvil organization. This includes adding and removing users as well as controlling what permissions each user has. In this article, we’ll go over the different types of roles in Anvil as well as walk you through how to manage users.
Please note, if your organization is enrolled in SSO and Directory Sync, you must manage users and permissions through your SSO and Directory Sync provider.
In this article, we’ll cover:
Anvil supports four different role types and each role determines a user’s permissions within an organization. The four role types are
- Viewer: Viewers can view existing Document Templates, Etch packets, and Workflows. They can also start new Workflow submissions, but they cannot edit or manage them.
- Editor: Editors can create and manage Document Templates, Etch packets, and Workflows.
- Admin: Admins can do everything editors can do, with the addition of being able to manage organization level settings (e.g. integrations, API keys, Webhook settings, etc.). When enabled, admins will also be able to use the advanced JSON editor.
- Billing Admin: Billing admins can only manage billing settings. They cannot see or edit any other organization settings or Document Templates, Etch packets, and Workflows.
Admin permissions can vary if you have SSO and Directory sync enabled for your organization.
- When SSO is enabled, admins are not able to add or remove users within the organization. These changes must be completed via your SSO provider.
- Depending on your SSO set up and whether or not you also have Directory Sync set up, admins may not be able to edit existing user’s roles.
- When Directory Sync is enabled, admins are not able to add or remove users nor update existing roles. All user related changes must be completed through your SSO and Directory sync provider.
Admins can manage users within their organization by following the steps below:
- Navigate to the organization settings page
- Scroll down to the Organization Users section
- Complete your desired action
Add user: Enter your new user’s name, email, and role > Invite
Remove user: Select the x icon next to the user you wish to remove > OK
Edit user role: Select the pencil icon next to the user you wish to edit > select a role from the dropdown menu > Update
- Newly added users must accept their invitation before they can access their Anvil organization.
- Pending invites can be removed by selecting the
xicon next to the invited user.